10/24/12

"Triple Aught Design Cult"

A couple days ago I was browsing through the search queries that have lead people to this blog and came across one that was a bit odd; "Triple Aught Design Cult," it read, and I was momentarily perplexed.

I got to thinking and I've ultimately decided that, yes, there is indeed a cult of Triple Aught Design.

A cult is defined broadly as a system of religious veneration and devotion directed toward a particular figure or object.  Typically, cults consist of a statistically significant minority and are often regarded by others as strange and or sinister.

Let's break that down, shall we?

Certainly, there are a group of people out there who prefer Triple Aught Design's gear over that of others.  There are even some who go out of their way to collect TAD's products, spending quite a bit of money in the process.  Religious veneration and devotion?  Sure, I guess you could call it that.  There is definitely a conscientious following among individuals who strongly value TAD's design, manufacturing, and quality.  So, in that regard, I guess strong supporters of Triple Aught Design could be considered a bit cult-like.

Is this group of consumers considered strange by a large majority?  Perhaps.  I, myself, have encountered a couple raised eyebrows when I wax poetic about my Lightspeed or Ranger Hoodie LT.  They'll ask, "you paid how much for that," and will always be surprised and often perplexed by my response.  There are some who understand the rationale underlying the purchase of quality gear and others who would rather save some money.  Either way, most people I've come across find that spending over $200.00 on a backpack is a bit strange.

In the end, there are a lot of cult-like followers of high-end companies.  Triple Aught Design is no exception.  It's just something that happens when a company takes great care to produce excellent products.

1 comment:

  1. Re: "Cult".... must have been my post on the 'Carryology.com' site under the name 'Major_Northeast_City', LoL!

    www.carryology.com/2011/11/30/bag-review-tad-fast-pack-litespeed-backpack/

    ReplyDelete