1/7/12

Intentions and Aspirations

First, some context.

I'm currently entering the final semester of my law school career.  I'm 24.  I run and play racquetball.  I'm a decent chess player.  I love the outdoors.  I want to participate in the GORUCK challenge; it looks incredibly fun.

I like to think of myself as contemplative and well thought.  I tend to over-analyze, occasionally to my detriment.

I've been carrying "stuff" for as long as I can remember.  I was a boyscout as a kid and take their motto - "be prepared" - to heart.  I believe a gentleman should always carry a knife.  I love new things but good design is timeless.

I've always had a passion for writing instruments.  My first "fancy" pen was a LAMY Safari fountain pen; it was given to me when I was in middle school.  In those days I carried a pocket full of various pens and pencils and more still in my school bag.  I've maintained that passion (maybe obsession is a better word) through the present.

My hopes for this blog are multifaceted.  

My most basic intention is to provide my thoughts and insight on everyday carry - the gear, the mindset, and other nuances that I've come across.  I'm hoping that this will include reviews of writing instruments, notebooks, knives, flashlights, and other such equipment that one might find useful to carry.  Also, I'd like to discuss the philosophy of EDC and how different approaches lead to incredibly different gear.

Also, I'd like to include my thoughts on things that don't necessarily fit into the front pocket of my jeans.  I'll keep it to things within my wheelhouse: if I can't use something frequently enough to complete a well-thought post I'll avoid it.

Finally, as with most blogs, I'm sure that I'll feel compelled to post other things that aren't perfectly aligned with my basic intentions.  I will, however, do my best to keep such posts to a minimum.

This will be my first blog.  I'm drawing inspiration from a couple places and hope that I might be able to live up to their model (I'll reserve posting links until I have some "real" content).

My first substantive post should come mid-week.  I'll be posting my current EDC (pictures, pictures, pictures!) and explaining a bit about my approach.

No comments:

Post a Comment