9/20/12

Keychain Modifications

After running the CRKT PECK knife on my keychain for a while I figured I could use a change.  I wasn't using the knife frequently enough and its utility was dwindling.


Wanting to keep the chain shackle configuration I needed slim tools and accessories.  Multitool components were the perfect fit.  SOG has made buying individual parts very convenient, but disassembling an older tool could work just as well.

I chose to add a bottle opener / flat-head screwdriver and SOG's V-cutter.  The bottle opener / screwdriver was my nod to the more "traditional" keychain tools.  It's not the greatest bottle opener particularly without the remainder of the tool but it's functional.  The screwdriver portion works well and has come in handy on occasion.


SOG's V-cutter is well-designed.  Fortunately, I haven't had the opportunity to use it since I put it on my keys.  I threw on a piece of shrink-tubing over the blades to mitigate the risk of unintentionally cutting something.  It stays on well and doesn't get in the way of using the cutter.


A bit of filing was required to get the tools to rotate freely but it's nothing that a hand-file couldn't handle.

Overall, I'm really happy with the new tools.  They have far greater potential than the small knife that was originally on there.

No comments:

Post a Comment